CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Hillbilly Goulash

This recipe I got from a yahoo recipe group I was a part of for awhile called FriendlyRecipeSwap. I did add ONE thing to this recipe to make it taste a little more like my Mom's famous goulash, Worcestershire sauce, Probably about a tablespoon or less. This was cheap and yummy, It would have been perfectly wonderful even without the cheddar cheese and baking in the oven :)
Hillbilly Goulash

From: FriendlyRecipeSwap group

1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cups dry macaroni
10 oz can condensed tomato soup
14 to 16 oz can tomatoes (I bought diced)
6 oz can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon each salt and garlic powder
1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
less than 1 TBsp. worcestershire sauce (I added this)

Start the ground beef and onion to frying in a large skillet, breaking it up into small pieces with a fork.
Meanwhile start the macaroni to cooking too. Use a fairly large pot (4 quart or bigger) to boil the macaroni, because you will use it to stir everything up in later. When the macaroni is tender, drain it and put it back into the big pot.
When the hamburger is cooked clean through, drain off the fat and add the hamburger to the drained macaroni in the big pot.
Next, open up all three cans and dump their contents into pot. Add the salt and garlic powder.
Use a big spoon to stir everything up nicely.
Reheat and serve sprinkled with the cheese if you are starving. Or if you're not that hungry, then turn the goulash into a well oiled 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top. This may now be baked, or refrigerated or frozen.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes if the mixture is still hot. If it is cold from the fridge, cook it for about 35minutes. If it is frozen, cook at 350 degrees for at least an hour, with the top covered with tin foil. Serves 6.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks & sounds really yummy! I love making cheap meals like this, too :)

Tina Butler said...

I love goulash I am still on a hunt for a good recipe. This one looks so good. Thanks for stopping by my site. I Love new visitors.