CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 22, 2008

Red Beans & Rice

Red Beans & Rice

I know it's always better to post recipes with pictures, but last week I tried a lot of new frugal recipes and I was terrible about not taking pictures. So please forgive me but the next few recipes will not have photo's but they were good or I wouldn't be sharing them here. My mission for our family right now is to keep our grocery bill down as much as I can, Prices are sky rocketing and we really can't afford to budget more money for groceries so that means, frugal recipes and simple things.

from: My Week on Recipe Challenge

1 lb. smoked sausage (about $2.00 or less if it's on sale)
1 can (10 ounces) tomatoes and green chilies (about $.60 store brand)
2 cans (16 ounces each) red beans or dark red kidney beans, undrained (about $.50 each store brand
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of mushroom soup (about $.60 store brand)
3/4 tsp Creole seasoning (miniscule amount unless you have to buy a new container; we keep some on hand all the time)
4 -5 cups cooked white rice (about $.50)

Cut up sausage into 1 inch chunks. Brown sausage in 10 inch skillet. Add tomatoes, beans, soup, and seasoning and heat through. Add cooked rice and heat through again, if necessary.
Another variation on this I tried this week that was just as deliciouswas using cubed chicken (bought on sale for $1.69 lb in frozen bag)

0 comments: