CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Salisbury Steak with Rich Brown Gravy – Devin Alexander




I had this recipe saved in my recipe folder from a yahoo recipe group I was a member of awhile ago. I've never made Salisbury steak at home before and go a craving for it last week and searched my recipes and found this. I did increase the recipe a little. I'll note my changes in () I always need leftover for my husband lunch at work so increase recipes a lot. Leftovers are good. This smelled delicious cooking and tasted even better. I served it with mashed potatoes and corn.


1/3 cup egg substitute ( 2 whole eggs)
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats –read directions about this part!! (1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons onion soup mix (1 packet)
1 tablespoon dried minced onions 
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound 96% lean ground beef (1.25 lbs)
3 tablespoons unbleached flour, divided (a bit more reg flour)
1 cup fat-free lower sodium beef broth (1 can)
2 tablespoons ketchup (I didn't add this!)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (4 TBSP)
Olive oil spray (Olive oil)
1 onion, sliced and separated into rings

Combine the egg sub. And the oats in a med mixing bowl.  Let stand for 3 mins to soften the oats.  Add the onion soup mix, minced onion, garlic powder, and beef. Mix until well combined, then shape into 4 ovals about 1 inch thick. 

Put 2 tablespoons of the flour in a med shallow bowl.  Dip the patties in the flour to coat them on all sides shake off any excess. 

Put the remaining flour in a medium mixing bowl.  Slowly whisk in enough broth to form a paste.  Then slowly whisk in the remaining broth, the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce until well combined.  Set aside.

Preheat large nonstick skillet to medium-high heat.  When the skillet is hot, lightly mist it with spray. Put the patties in.  Brown on both sides, 1 to 2 mins.




Pour broth mixture in.  add onion rings and stir them gently into the broth mixture being careful not to break the patties.  Bring the liquid to a boil and them reduce to low, cover and simmer for 15 mins turning once.




Plate and spoon gravy over patties and serve.




Abbey approves!

1 comments:

Κινητοί Τοίχοι - Movable Walls said...

Hi,
May I ask you for a favor? As my blog has little traffic at present, I am trying to increase it, because I use it to sell my company’s products. More visits will increase my blog’s “Google Images” ranking and visibility. I am asking you to visit my blog occasionally, even though it may not be of particular interest to you. Cordial thanks.